Created by the pharmacist Sumiko Watanabe and her husband Hitoshi Watanabe, the banana diet is one of the most popular quick diets in Japan. Mr. Watanabe lost around 15 kg thanks to this diet. The sale of bananas in Japan has drastically increased in a very short period, after the famous opera singer Kumiko Mori lost 7 kg with the help of this diet. The banana diet is pretty flexible and you can easily adjust it to your needs and way of life.
How does the banana diet function?
Very easy since you do not have to limit the food you eat nor do you need to count calories. All you need to do is to begin your day with bananas and warm water.
The banana diet is based on eating as much as bananas you like. After you eat bananas for breakfast, you can eat whatever you like for lunch and dinner. And, if you plan on losing kilograms, instead of high caloric foods such as pizzas, hamburgers, etc. eat low caloric foods rich in nutrients, such as fruits and vegetables.
If you want to eat something sweet, take a snack in the afternoon. You must not dinner after 8 pm. Also, you are not allowed to eat anything after dinner, neither a desert such as an ice cream, and alcohol and milk products are also forbidden.
Exercising during banana diet
Although in the plan of the banana diet there is no mentioning of exercising, if you want to, you can begin or continue with exercising. Just be careful about how hard the exercises are, so you do not tire your organism needlessly.
Meal time and resting
During this diet, it is very important when you eat so that your digestive system has enough time to “rest” in order to properly function. If you understand how your organism functions and you adapt to this regime of nutrition by following the rules, you will quickly speed up the metabolism and lose excess weight.
Eating when you feel nervous, as an eating disorder, is one of the main reasons why people acquire surplus kilograms. When you are under stress, you usually eat everything that you find close to you, which are often times unhealthy snacks. If you want to control your weight, you must fight stress.
According to the theory of the banana diet, whenever you feel depressed, find some distraction. Since everyone has hobbies and pleasures which differ from person to person, decide what is the best for you. You can cheer up by watching TV, listening to music, dancing, cooking, etc.
Why is getting up early so important?
The banana diet puts an accent on getting up early. The reason is that when you wake up early you need not to rush in order to finish all of your obligations. So, if you want to lose kilograms quickly then go to sleep early- it is proved to help lose weight.
Going early to bed and waking up early will not only save you enough time during the day, but you will feel fresher and more energized. Moreover, early waking up benefits the health and increases the energy.
Why are bananas important?
Since the banana is the main fruit in this diet we must mention why. The reason is that bananas are rich in potassium and other essential nutrients. They provide satiety since they are rich in fiber and water. Being rich in fiber, they absorb enough calories before reaching the digestive tract.
Besides, the specific enzymes in the bananas will help you lower your weight and achieve the kilograms you have always desired. What’s more, they also contain a specific type of starch which will not only prolong the satiety, but also help your organism in burning fat.
Drinks during banana diet
During the diet, you need to intake a lot of fresh water. The fantastic properties of drinking water will keep the organism hydrated and remove the harmful toxins from the organism. Since this diet is not so strict, there are no rules about how much water you need to drink. You simple need to drink water when you feel that your lips are dry.
An over intake of water may be harmful, according to some. Therefore, besides water, you can drink a cup of coffee or tea once daily and although all alcohol is forbidden during the diet, you can still drink one glass from time to time.
Experiences from the diet
Most nutritionists and dieticians do not fully approve the banana diet. A lot of people claim that eating only bananas cannot contribute a lot to weight loss. Experiences show that this diet has numerous faults, and these are some of them:
- There is no actual guideline related to the banana diet. There are some menus on the internet, but they were not created by nutritionists. The original Japanese banana diet is consisted of eating bananas in the morning, and after that you can eat whatever you like for lunch and dinner. Also, the chances of not knowing what you need to eat are big, and as a consequence you may continue to eat ingredients which collide with this diet plan which has been proved by numerous experiences.
- Since bananas are “stickier” than other fruits, the sugar from them easily sticks to the teeth. Therefore, you need to pay more attention to brushing your teeth or you will probably get caries during the banana diet. This was stated on a lot of Japanese forums where people who practiced this diet, share their opinions and experiences.
- You may be able to lose kilograms, but the moment you return to your old habits, you will probably regain the kilograms. Most of the people who practiced this diet, regained their lost weight. What’s more, the diet does not state the ingredients that you need to eat besides bananas.
- Since exercising is not mentioned anywhere, you will hardly achieve the wanted weight and adjust your organism to a healthy life regime without physical activity. If you want a positive experience, walk each day from 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bananas have low calories and it is surely healthy to eat them for breakfast. However, soon after breakfast you will feel hungry.